- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Countdown to 2012
Your Smart room
- Injuries as hail stones as large as golf balls sweep IstanbulRain, hail and high winds in Turkish city lead to floods, collapsed wall at cemetery and explosion at port A severe summer storm in Istanbul has left at least three people injured, with heavy rain, hail and strong winds knocking down trees and a stone wall and flooding streets in the Turkish city.The NTV television channel said part of a stone wall surroundi […]
- Fires in southern France under control, say emergency workers‘We are winning the fight,’ says emergency chief, but firefighters say new fires could start in hot, windy conditionsHuge fires that forced mass evacuations of areas of southern France have been brought largely under control, firefighters have said, although they warned new blazes were still starting.In the village of Bormes-les-Mimosas, located near beaches […]
- Thousands evacuated after wildfire on France's Mediterranean coastWildfires also devouring swaths of forests in Corsica, Portugal, Italy and AlbaniaSummer wildfires are once again blazing across southern Europe, forcing the evacuation of 12,000 people on France’s Mediterranean cost and devouring swaths of forests as far afield as Corsica, Portugal, Italy and Albania.Authorities in the Côte d’Azur region decided to move peo […]
- Wildfires in France – in picturesAbout 12,000 people have been evacuated due to a wildfire in southern France. The fire has consumed large areas of forest along the Mediterranean coast, in the mountainous interior and on the island of Corsica Continue reading...
- Horses and rabbits make lucky escapes from New Zealand floods – video reportHorses caught in a flooded river make a run for it after heavy rains in New Zealand’s South Island over the weekend. Three wild rabbits also managed to escape the waters by hopping on to the backs of sheep. Videos courtesy of fergs3374 and Kyla JasperseWoolly jumpers: rabbits ride on sheep to stay dry in flood Continue reading...
- Storm that nearly swept away the Met OfficeVictorian-era weather alerts saved many mariners but a row over ‘useless’ Met Office forecasts halted warnings for two yearsStorm warnings are a vital part of the work of the Met Office based in the UK, but 150 years ago the very idea of such forecasts was highly controversial.In July 1867 William Sykes MP drew attention in the Commons to the fact that storm […]
- Romans threatened with water rationing as Italy's heatwave drags onHalf of capital’s 3 million residents could have water switched off for eight hours a day after Italy’s driest spring for 60 yearsMore than a million residents of Rome are facing water rationing for up to eight hours a day as the prolonged heatwave that has ravaged southern Europe takes its toll on the Italian capital.Some businesses are already reporting sp […]
- UK should increasingly expect record winter rains, says Met OfficeAided by a supercomputer, meteorologists find 34% chance of record monthly rainfall being set, raising fears about major floodingFears have been raised that the UK could soon see a repeat of the sort of flooding that has hit in recent years after forecasters predicted a one-in-three chance there would be a new record set for monthly rainfall during coming wi […]
- Greece and Turkey struggle in aftermath of quake that killed twoMain harbour on holiday island Kos, where two died and hundreds were injured, remains closed with flights also affectedKos is dealing with the aftermath of an earthquake that killed two people and injured hundreds on the Greek holiday island.The 6.7-magnitude quake left hundreds more injured in the Turkish resort of Bodrum, about 12 miles (20km) across the s […]
- New Zealand storm: states of emergency declared as flooding hits South IslandState of emergency declared in three regions, road access to Dunedin city blocked and flood warning signs run out after heavy rain and landslidesA ferocious storm has buffeted the lower South Island of New Zealand overnight, with three states of emergency declared in Christchurch, Timaru and Otago and the city of Dunedin accessible only by air. The southern […]
- Injuries as hail stones as large as golf balls sweep Istanbul