- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Countdown to 2012
Your Smart room
- Ice and fire: large blaze burns in Greenland for two weeksScientists perplexed by wildfire that has been burning since July in grassland just 40 miles from the ice sheetA large wildfire has been burning in Greenland for at least two weeks.The wildfire was first spotted by satellites on 31 July and last photographed on 16 August when it was still growing. It was burning about 40 miles from the Greenland ice sheet an […]
- Wildfires trap 2,000 people in town in central PortugalFlames and smoke surround Mação, making it impossible to enter or leave – the latest in country’s deadliest year for fires Forest fires have cut off a town of 2,000 people in Portugal, as firefighters struggle to control two large blazes in the centre of the country. Related: Wildfires across southern Europe amid scorching heatwave – in pictures Related: Por […]
- Drone shows Sierra Leone mudslide aftermath – videoDrone footage taken on Wednesday silently shows the devastation wrought by the mudslides in Freetown, once-bustling capital of Sierra Leone. Rescuers are still searching for hundreds of missing people after the devastating mudslide and floods engulfed the capital and the surrounding areas on MondaySierra Leone: fears of second mudslide as week of national mo […]
- Floods and devastation in India, Nepal and Bangladesh – in picturesHundreds of people have been killed and millions displaced across the region as rescue missions set up shelters and strive to get food and water to victimsNearly 250 people have died in the last few days as a result of flooding and landslides that have devastated parts of northern India, Nepal and Bangladesh. Millions of people have been displaced across the […]
- New Orleans under water: 12 years after Katrina, officials can't get it rightThe city has seen rain almost every day since April – but pumps continue to malfunction as water board administrators offer wrong informationIt is true: New Orleans lives and dies by its water. We eat from the Gulf, lake and wetlands and we breathe deeply of a sweltering, airborne humidity. We get our drinking water from the muddy Mississippi river, which ca […]
- Hundreds feared dead in Sierra Leone after mudslides – video reportSierra Leonean emergency services and aid agencies are working to find victims of the heavy mudslides and flooding which devastated areas around the country’s capital Freetown on Monday. Thousands of people are still missingSierra Leone’s deadly mudslide: thousands missing as search continues Continue reading...
- Wildfires across southern Europe amid scorching heatwave – in picturesExtreme weather across southern Europe has spawned and fanned numerous wildfires, including at the beach resort of Kalamos near Athens and in central Portugal Continue reading...
- Italian firefighter filmed starting blaze amid wildfires across country28-year-old man arrested in Pavia, Lombardy, on suspicion of setting fire to hedges and rubbish binsA volunteer firefighter has been filmed starting a blaze in northern Italy at a time when the country is struggling to cope with a spate of wildfires.A 28-year-old man was arrested in Pavia, Lombardy, on suspicion of setting fire to hedges and rubbish bins bef […]
- New Orleans at risk of further floods after fire cuts power to pumpsMitch Landrieu says: ‘We are at risk if we have a massive rain event’Fire at power station on Thursday reduces city’s ability to drain stormwaterWith heavy rains forecast for Thursday, New Orleans is in a “vulnerable position” following a fire at one of the power stations that runs the city’s flood-control water pumps, its mayor has said.“We are at risk if w […]
- Iraq sends workers home as 'ungodly' heat grips Middle EastPower networks struggle in Baghdad and building work halted in Riyadh, while high humidity affects coastal citiesWhile Europe battles with a heatwave named Lucifer, the Middle East is enduring a summer so brutal that even those accustomed to Baghdad’s searing August weather are labelling it “ungodly”.As temperatures rose towards 51C (124F) on Thursday, Iraq’ […]
- Ice and fire: large blaze burns in Greenland for two weeks
Monthly Archives: April 2011
One of the most significant years in numerology is the year 2012 A.D. That is because that is the date that the Mayans predicted that the world would end. Even people who do not know a lot about Mayan astrology … Continue reading
ScienceDaily (Mar. 24, 2011) — A prototype scanner aboard the International Space Station has been taking new images of Earth’s coastal regions during the 16 months since it was launched, providing scientists with a new set of imaging tools that will … Continue reading
by Staff Writers Tokyo (AFP) April 12, 2011 The economic impact of the earthquake and tsunami that devastated Japan is worse than previously thought, a Japanese minister was quoted as saying Tuesday. Economy and fiscal policy minister Kaoru Yosano said … Continue reading
A tsunami is a series of ocean waves that sends surges of water, sometimes reaching heights of over 100 feet (30.5 meters), onto land. These walls of water can cause widespread destruction when they crash ashore. These awe-inspiring waves are … Continue reading
SA Airborne Radar Set to Image Hawaiian Volcano ScienceDaily (Apr. 4, 2011) — The Kilauea volcano that recently erupted on the Big Island of Hawaii will be the target for a NASA study to help scientists better understand processes occurring under … Continue reading
By JAY ALABASTER and ERIC TALMADGE, Associated Press – 1 hr 41 mins ago SENDAI, Japan – A strong new earthquake rattled Japan’s northeast Monday as the government urged more people living near a tsunami-crippled nuclear plant to leave, citing concerns about long-term health risks … Continue reading
Visit http://SurvivalShelterCommunities.com to Protect yourself today! Natural disaster From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia A natural disaster is the effect of a natural hazard (e.g., flood, tornado, hurricane, volcanic eruption, earthquake, or landslide). It leads to financial, environmental or human losses. The resulting loss depends on the vulnerability of … Continue reading